There was a distillery in Lewis some 170years ago called the Shoeburn distillery
The Shoeburn Distillery was the last legal distillery on the Isle of Lewis, built by Mr Stewart Mackenzie. The distillery cost £14,000 to build and production started around 1830, it was hoped to replace the many illicit stills that were situated all over the islands, and in doing so improve the health and morals of the islanders, so believed Mr Mackenzie!
The distillery was in full production around 1833 and records state that the spirit was in ‘great demand’, although it also mentions that little of the whisky left the island, the majority of the whisky going to the town of Stornoway where ‘considerable quantities of spirit’ were purchased.
In 1835 a Mr A. Robertson requested if he could act as a London agent for the distillery and stated he had London and Indian connections and that he could sell 1,000 to 2000 gallons of whisky. The outcome of this wasn’t known and at the time it wad reported that Mackenzie was experiencing financial problems.
The Shoeburn distillery appears to have closed down in or around 1840 the exact reason isn’t known. However in 1844 the island was sold to Sir James Matheson, a complete abstainer and prohibitionist, who promptly demolished the buildings and replaced them with Lews Castle.
One character associated with the distillery was the last distiller in charge, a Mr Thomas Macnee, who was renowned for his generous measures. He became so well known that his name lives on in Gaelic ‘Tomhas mhÓr Mhic Mith’ he offered the many people who came to the distillery a good measure for cash including foreign sailors.
However distilling didn't stop, let's just say it went back to its roots.
Prior to the Shoeburn distillery two other producers of illegal whisky were well known and had the support of the local populace, these were located in Coll and Gress. These two illicit stills had the reputation of producing quality whisky .
from http://www.whiskymerchants.co.uk/#/abha ... 4534906946