ThunderSmith wrote:I am a very lucky person, as the company I work in import Japanese whisky into Norway. Over the last two years I have sampled the following:
I have sampled SC from Karuizawa in the following vintages:
- 1971, '73, '76, '79, '81, '83, '84, '86, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95. I have also sampled two wine matured Karuizawa casks from '95
- Gingko Blended Malt
- Chichibu New Born Bourbon Barrel
- Hanyu 3 of Spades, Jack of Spades, Queen of Diamonds, 6 of Diamonds, 7 of Hearts, 4 of Clubs + two No 1 Drinks Co SC finished in Japanese Oak ('88-2007 & '90-2008)
- Nikka Yoichi NAS, 10, 12, 15, 20, 12 yo 70th Anniversary
- Nikka Miyagikyo NAS, 10, 12, 15, 12 yo 70th Anniversary
- Nikka from the Barrel, Coffey Malt 12, Coffey Grain '91 & '92, Coffey Grain 12 yo 70th Anniversary
I have also sampled several excellent blends from Nikka. Japanese whisky in general is stunning, Karuizawa, Yoichi and Hanyu in particular. Chichibu will be excellent whisky in a while, as the first casks were filled last summer.
Adrian wrote:I've been into Japanese whiskies for nearly 2 years now and very inpressed with the quality of them. I find the some of the younger whiskies a bit expensive for their age compared to the older whiskies but no matter.
I've tried the following so far ...
Hanyu 15yo Jack of Clubs (A great single sherry cask )
Hakushu 12 (The 12yo's seem to be good only a touch of smoke but that is not a bad thing)
Hibiki 17yo (A beautiful smooth and drinkable blend, along the lines of an Irish or JW gold)
Karuizawa 1971 (I got this for 110 too and sorry I did not get a second a brute of a whiskey but absolutely wonderful too )
Nikka Black (Not the best but good for the price)
Nikka from the Barrel (Just a 2cl sample and was impressed)
Nikka Coffey Malt 12 (Just a 2cl sample and was also impressed)
Yamazaki 10 (Not a patch on the 12yo)
Yamazaki 12 (For me the best of the Yamazaki's)
Yamazki 18 (Very interesting and enjoyable but not a forceful as the 12yo)
Aidan wrote:Hi Adrian
Was at the Japanese tasting in Dublin. My favourite of the night was the Hibiki 17. Also tried the soon-to-be launched Hibiki 12.
I like all the Yamazakis. The 18 is very good with chocolate. Hakashus also very good.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests