Advice On Cleaning A Hip Flask.

Anything and everything that is not whisky.

Advice On Cleaning A Hip Flask.

Postby barhell » 27 Dec 2010, 16:31

I have in my posession a Dalvey Flask with the telescopic cup that sits in the reverse.
It's a lovely thing and i would like to use it (originally my Dad's) but while attempting to rinse clean with a view to filling it dispensed quite a lot of black gunk.

So any ideas on what to do?

Secondly i have a new hip flask and wondered best ways to clean and store between uses to avoid similar problems?

Barhell
barhell

Title: A drinker and a thinker.
No. of Bottles: 0

Re: Advice On Cleaning A Hip Flask.

Postby Mr Tattie Heid » 27 Dec 2010, 16:46

For the new one, I'd say simply rinse thoroughly with hot water, and store open so it will dry out completely.

For the black gunk--maybe fill with cheap vodka, let soak, repeat as necessary?
www.mrtattieheid.com ~ Travel Journals & Photographs
Mr Tattie Heid

Location: The Midden Heap, Bog of Allen, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Title: Finnish Soap Dish Wholesale Vendor
Favourite Whiskies: Map symbols lob my spam.
No. of Bottles: 90

Postby Jimmy321 » 27 Dec 2010, 23:08

Use sterilising powder with hot water leave for at least an hour then rinse with cold water, this should lift off all dirt.
If I had all the money I've spent on whisky, I'd spend it on whisky.

Jimmy321

Postby Yello to Mello » 28 Dec 2010, 03:20

I always clean mine like MrTH suggests (the new one). I forgot mine at a Christmas party last week so I text those instructions to the host the next day. :oops: At least there was still a dram or 2 left there for him.

I heard those old flasks are a pain to clean.
“I'm a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” -Joel Rosenberg
Yello to Mello

Title: Pioneer Member
Favourite Whiskies: Rye Whisky
No. of Bottles: 24

Postby jonbob » 28 Dec 2010, 04:19

I don't know if it would work but some of the products used for cleaning home brew bottles might be worth trying
jonbob

Postby barhell » 28 Dec 2010, 16:12

Best tip i've found so far after finding many while searching (Vinegar, Bicarbonate of soda and various others all of which i've tried) was uncooked rice which if you add to the flask with some water and then shake it acts as a scourer, i had to rinse and repeat about 6 times but it seems to be getting there now.

Next i will give it a fill with some cheap vodka (nod to Mr TH) just to leave for 24 hours or so to see if anything else comes out in the mix.

Here's hoping it's fixed as it's a nice memento which i'd like to get some use from.

If there are still problems i'll start from the top of the replies and work down in order.
barhell

Postby Lucas » 28 Dec 2010, 16:28

Avoid chlorine-based bleach!
Lucas

Title: Self-proclaimed No1 Expert on Everything
Twitter: @EdinburghWhisky

Postby Pete Smoke » 28 Dec 2010, 17:50

barhell wrote:Best tip i've found so far after finding many while searching (Vinegar, Bicarbonate of soda and various others all of which i've tried) was uncooked rice which if you add to the flask with some water and then shake it acts as a scourer, i had to rinse and repeat about 6 times but it seems to be getting there now.

I was going to suggest sugar or coarse sand/grit for the same reason.
Pete Smoke

Title: watchman
Favourite Whiskies: All whiskies that are free of e150a
No. of Bottles: 3

Postby Willie JJ » 28 Dec 2010, 18:09

Lucas wrote:Avoid chlorine-based bleach!

Although it might be preferable to vodka.
Willie

It is better to have drunk it all than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ

Title: You don't like it? You're just not trying.
Favourite Whiskies: I like those whiskies with an alcohol content of 40% and above.

Postby C57 » 28 Dec 2010, 18:25

Willie JJ wrote:
Lucas wrote:Avoid chlorine-based bleach!

Although it might be preferable to vodka.

Or Loch Dhu
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
C57

Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Postby MacDeffe » 28 Dec 2010, 20:37

I am not 100% convinced metal hip flasks are healthy. I'd rather use something in glass

I haven't used mine in years

Steffen
MacDeffe

Title: whiskyholic
Favourite Whiskies: Yoichi, Caperdonich, Lagavulin, Stitzel-Weller, Buffalo Trace
Twitter: macdeffe
Facebook: profile.php?ref=profile&id=1288095069

Postby lbacha » 28 Dec 2010, 21:54

Yeah I agree with Steffen I have left some whisky in mine for a week or so and it turned black. I would feel alot safer if they lined the flasks like they do some of the metal water bottles out there (SIGG comes to mind) If the scotch turned almost pitch black in a week I garuntee it is corroding the metal almost instantly and as a result releasing chemicals into the schotch. While these may not hurt you I'm not sure i want to take the chance.

Len
Check out my new web site: http://www.WhiskyLen.com cheesy I know but I was bored..
lbacha

Title: I'm a Scotch addict and proud of it...
Favourite Whiskies: I like the young peat monsters....
No. of Bottles: 150

Postby barhell » 28 Dec 2010, 22:25

I suppose you could just take a 20 cl glass bottle with you but i suppose a hip flask just looks more refined rather than streeet drinker chic. On the christmas whisky thread C57 recieved a rather nice Grants triple glass flask set maybe this is the way to go.
barhell

Postby Mr Tattie Heid » 28 Dec 2010, 22:58

I've seen it said around that you shouldn't leave whisky in a flask for more than 24 hours.
www.mrtattieheid.com ~ Travel Journals & Photographs
Mr Tattie Heid

Location: The Midden Heap, Bog of Allen, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Title: Finnish Soap Dish Wholesale Vendor
Favourite Whiskies: Map symbols lob my spam.
No. of Bottles: 90

Postby The Craw » 28 Dec 2010, 23:15

As I've harped on about for ages, both here and elsewhere, and as being a typical stingy Scot I have many flasks, ranging from a few Dalveys (I also have the one with the telescopic cup which is may favourite and I use it as my special occasion sporran flask) to small stainless steel ones you can often find.

From my experience whisky will only keep at its best in pewter for a day or two max (I would guess the fact that it's a more permeable metal will have some influence on the spirit) whereas in stainless steel the whisky will keep fine for many, many days, again from experience, or indeed moreso forgetting to empty it. I only use blends and relatively low-priced malts in my flasks.

As for cleaning them, just boiling water should do and if not a wee bit of Bicarbonate of Soda should eradicate any residue. The important part after cleaning them is to remember to dry them out properly for a day or two before replacing the lid.
CRAW - Campaign for Real Authentic Whisky!
The Craw

Title: Whisky Researcher
Favourite Whiskies: Talisker, Clynelish, Bladnoch

Postby MacDeffe » 28 Dec 2010, 23:24

well, isn't this similar to : "everybody" knows screw caps are better than corks, but thats what used for aestethical reasons :-)

Deffe
MacDeffe

Title: whiskyholic
Favourite Whiskies: Yoichi, Caperdonich, Lagavulin, Stitzel-Weller, Buffalo Trace
Twitter: macdeffe
Facebook: profile.php?ref=profile&id=1288095069

Postby C57 » 29 Dec 2010, 00:00

My Dalvey (Stainless Steel) always accumulated that black gunk and made the whisky taste poor after a very short time.

My Talisker (pewter) seems fine for 2 or 3 days.

But my favourite is a flask, rather large I admit, that came with Cognac in it and when finished, I kept it for whisky. Yes it's at least twice the size of a proper hip flask, but it's glass, with a plastic-lined cap that seals perfectly and comes in a soft kid leather pouch. No effect on the whisky at all.
C57

Postby Pete Smoke » 29 Dec 2010, 01:38

That weird black gunk ( tarnish ) even forms in solid silver flasks, silver is not harmful and has no tarnish or patina risks ( is is a carbonate? ). So i'm not certain of the reason for it. Sterling silver also has copper. I shall do some research, but from what i can remember a tarnish protects the metal beneath, but verdigris is definitely toxic and soluble in alcohol ( not that that is particularly relevant here ).
Pete Smoke

Postby JamesC » 29 Dec 2010, 01:49

I use a ceramic hip flask, same as the one shown below. I guess the downside is that its fragile and the cork doesnt look like it would seal well, however ive had no problems so far. I just love the simple look of it..

JamesC

Favourite Whiskies: Ardbeg Ten
No. of Bottles: 33

Postby Pete Smoke » 29 Dec 2010, 03:15

Pete Smoke wrote:That weird black gunk ( tarnish ) even forms in solid silver flasks, silver is not harmful and has no tarnish or patina risks ( is is a carbonate? ).

I mistakenly assumed silver didn't tarnish ( like gold ) but it does - with sulphur and moisture of all things, so does copper.
Pete Smoke

Postby C57 » 29 Dec 2010, 09:13

Pete Smoke wrote:
Pete Smoke wrote:That weird black gunk ( tarnish ) even forms in solid silver flasks, silver is not harmful and has no tarnish or patina risks ( is is a carbonate? ).

I mistakenly assumed silver didn't tarnish ( like gold ) but it does - with sulphur and moisture of all things, so does copper.

Silver tarnishes badly - that blackness that silver gets.
C57

Postby Pete Smoke » 29 Dec 2010, 13:07

Silly me. The black patina on silver is a reation with sulphur compounds in the air resulting in tarnish, or Silver Sulphide, actual corrosion. Steffen mentioned upthread that he doubted that metal flasks were safe, so i was keen to work out silver, as it is used as a water disinfectant/anti-bacterial treatment and considered safe. It seems that this is somewhat disputed. The black gunk found inside silver flasks is silver sulphide, and is toxic to marine life etc, but argyria in humans is considered to not damage health, but only to be a cosmetic condition, and is rare and extreme. So i feel that silver hip flasks, are safe if kept clean and relatively free of the black stuff, i.e dried properly when not in use as the tarnish needs moisture.
Pete Smoke

Postby ColSanders » 31 Dec 2010, 03:20

Hmmm... thought I'd posted a reply to this but guess I was wrong...

For cleaning silver, copper and the like in the kitchen world we usually use a mixture of vinegar and kosher salt. The acetic acid from the vinegar will help pull away the gunk while the kosher salt will act as a minor abbrasive. Make a thin paste out of it and put it in, give it a couple good shakes, rinse thoroughly with water... if you're worried about further oxidation drop in some isopropyl alcohol and turn upside down. The water will evaporate with the alcohol...

Tis what we use for a few gizmos and gadgets where I work at least...
ColSanders

Title: Cooking and Dramming
Favourite Whiskies: Ardbeg Uigedail, Talisker 175th Anniversary, Glenmorangie Nector D'or

Postby C57 » 31 Dec 2010, 19:40

C57 wrote:My Dalvey (Stainless Steel) always accumulated that black gunk and made the whisky taste poor after a very short time.

My Talisker (pewter) seems fine for 2 or 3 days.

But my favourite is a flask, rather large I admit, that came with Cognac in it and when finished, I kept it for whisky. Yes it's at least twice the size of a proper hip flask, but it's glass, with a plastic-lined cap that seals perfectly and comes in a soft kid leather pouch. No effect on the whisky at all.
CRW_8578.jpg
CRW_8578.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 12343 times
C57

Postby Uisgehound » 01 Jan 2011, 09:37

Nick, I've got to say THAT is an awesome flask! Well done! :thumbsup:
John Valuk is dead, he fell on his head. But perhaps John Parker will get through with our message to Buckaroo Banzai.
Uisgehound

Title: Wile E. Coyote mimic
Favourite Whiskies: Redbreast 12YO, 2 Gingers. Cardhu, Lagavulin 16yo, Glenfiddich Distillery Edition 15yo and Snow Phoenix, Balvenie Doublewood, White Horse 12YO, Knappogue Castle, George T Stagg 2009, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bulleit Bourbon, Glenmorangie LaSanta, Crown Royal Cask No16, Jon, Mark and Robbo's Rich, Spicy One, Highland Park 18yo, The Glenlivet 12yo
No. of Bottles: 66
Facebook: Ken Sanders

Return to Stuff and Nonsense