Here is a recent whisky purchase

General Whisky and Whiskey Chat.

Re: Here is a recent whisky purchase

Postby gimmeadram » 10 Nov 2013, 00:52

Finally decided to arrange for shipping for all the K&L bottles that were stored at their warehouse... All 12 bottles of whiskies (include some bottles for my friend) were shipped WITHOUT its protective boxes/tubes. I find it unacceptable that they will NOT ship any boxes/tubes unless you tell them 2 million times to ship with them. And if they do, they will charge extra for them, even though they can easily just put them in the parcel and they weigh close to nothing. This does not make or break my relationship with K&L b/c they do have some reasonably priced store exclusives, but this is not the first time I have been annoyed with them...
gimmeadram

Favourite Whiskies: Yoichi 15 sherry cask #412195, 59%; Ardmore 1992/2013 Auld Alliance; Talisker 25 (2005)
No. of Bottles: 256

Postby portwood » 10 Nov 2013, 15:18

gimmeadram wrote:Finally decided to arrange for shipping for all the K&L bottles that were stored at their warehouse... All 12 bottles of whiskies (include some bottles for my friend) were shipped WITHOUT its protective boxes/tubes.

:lol: I would be pi**ed off also but, given that the shop's name is K&L Wine Merchants, it shouldn't be a surprise they ship whisky bottles as if they were shipping wine!
portwood

No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: @65glenfarclas

Postby bboivin » 10 Nov 2013, 17:18

Tamdhu 10
bboivin

Title: Japanese Whisky Otaku
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore 12 from the 80s. Mars Shinshu, Chichibu.
No. of Bottles: 666
Twitter: @bboivin

Postby tuntime » 10 Nov 2013, 21:14

gimmeadram wrote:Finally decided to arrange for shipping for all the K&L bottles that were stored at their warehouse... All 12 bottles of whiskies (include some bottles for my friend) were shipped WITHOUT its protective boxes/tubes. I find it unacceptable that they will NOT ship any boxes/tubes unless you tell them 2 million times to ship with them. And if they do, they will charge extra for them, even though they can easily just put them in the parcel and they weigh close to nothing. This does not make or break my relationship with K&L b/c they do have some reasonably priced store exclusives, but this is not the first time I have been annoyed with them...

I would absolutely feel shorted unless they made it right.

I've been in their stores and they are definitely focused on wine. But they also recently blogged that that they sell more Uigeadail than anywhere else in the country. If all retailers shipped without boxes, I'd understand, but no one else seems to make it complicated like this.
tuntime

Postby bryan f » 11 Nov 2013, 23:16

balblair 2001 46%
standard amrut 46%
bryan f

Re: tamdhu 10

Postby leonardrussell » 12 Nov 2013, 21:33

bboivin wrote:Tamdhu 10

Hi, do you like the new Tamdhu 10? It's just the beginning of our "only ever 100% sherry-matured" journey.
Have we started well? L
leonardrussell

Postby bpbleus » 13 Nov 2013, 09:14

leonardrussell wrote: Hi, do you like the new Tamdhu 10? It's just the beginning of our "only ever 100% sherry-matured" journey.
Have we started well? L

Hi Leonard,

Welcome to the forum.

We value quality for a reasonable price and honest, factual information. We tend to abhor marketing s.l., bloggers and pundits with undisclosed interests and sulfur in our whisky. We like to pretend we prefer content over form. It should be no surprise that many of us (still?) have a soft spot for Tamdhu.

You know the answer to your question from our perspective. Or could be given by your master blender, who is much better qualified than we are to address your question anyway, and who knows exactly what corners were cut and which compromises were made to get the desired profile for the target price point given the projected stock at hand.

In order to get an expedient answer from us, you'd probably best send the active posters among us a sample. We are too obsessed with single cask and selected special releases to be easily motivated to run to the store for an entry level core dram, no matter how well made it is. There's simply no urgency - it will be around for a long time to come.

If you started well and sales are lagging behind expectations, you have a marketing problem. If you didn't start well and sales are lagging behind expectations, you also have a marketing problem. Regardless sales, you do have a marketing problem anyway. Besides a few self-congratulatory marketeers, no one would want to spend more than a minute on your website. Sometimes marketing flatulence hits you right in the face and you can't really avoid it, but few would actively seek it out, especially when it would imply getting exposed to language that seems a bit wacky for addressing people of legal drinking age, e.g

"Well done to Laura Young from Buckie who won the Tamdhu Father's Day competition. Laura correctly answered the question:

On which river is Tamdhu Distillery located next to?

The answer is the Spey. Laura wins a bottle of the superb Tamdhu 10yo Limited Edition. Slainte mhath!"

I'd suggest to change the question next year to: "Next to which river is the Tamdhu distillery located?"

I took your bait for creating buzz. I suppose I've now earned a bottle of the superb 10 yo Limited Edition Tamdhu.
bpbleus

Title: Whiskypath
Favourite Whiskies: Latest Greatest: Longmorn 1971-2004 Scott's Selection 53.5% (US);
Lochside 1981-2010 TWE
No. of Bottles: 1

Postby bpbleus » 13 Nov 2013, 09:38

Here is a failed recent whisky purchase:

1 set of the BTAC 2013.

I've been on the preferred customer list of a major retailer and yet didn't make the cut. Not even for a Thomas Handy. Looked at other places where they know me, but with little success (I could only get a Handy and a 12 yo Lot B). Last year I was able to get the BTAC well into the new year. What the f**** is going on? I know things have become a little crazy but this is mostly ordinary stuff at the high end of the scale.
bpbleus

Favourite Whiskies: Latest Greatest: Longmorn 1971-2004 Scott's Selection 53.5% (US);
Lochside 1981-2010 TWE

Postby Mr Tattie Heid » 13 Nov 2013, 16:16

bpbleus wrote:What the f**** is going on?

What's going on is that the BTAC bottles have become uber-trendy and lots of people are trying to get them. You are one of them.
www.mrtattieheid.com ~ Travel Journals & Photographs
Mr Tattie Heid

Location: The Midden Heap, Bog of Allen, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Title: Finnish Soap Dish Wholesale Vendor
Favourite Whiskies: Aja Hiljaa Sillalla
No. of Bottles: 90

Postby gimmeadram » 13 Nov 2013, 16:57

With the huge increase in prices for the btac in the secondary market, I think some unscrupulous retailers or their employees are keeping the bottles for themselves, and selling them on Craigslist and the like.. That is at least part of the problem.
gimmeadram

Favourite Whiskies: Yoichi 15 sherry cask #412195, 59%; Ardmore 1992/2013 Auld Alliance; Talisker 25 (2005)

Postby bpbleus » 13 Nov 2013, 17:24

Yeah, yeah, I get all that. I'm just surprised by the sheer force of the tsunami of interest. Up to a few weeks a go a local retailer still had 3 bottles of the Handy. In the beginning of the summer there were still a few Staggs around here. All for slightly inflated prices. I even found a Pappy 15 for $80 when I asked for it at a large retailer in July. The silence before the storm, I guess.
bpbleus

Lochside 1981-2010 TWE

Postby bboivin » 13 Nov 2013, 18:42

leonardrussell wrote:
bboivin wrote:Tamdhu 10

Hi, do you like the new Tamdhu 10? It's just the beginning of our "only ever 100% sherry-matured" journey.
Have we started well? L

well...what bpleus said..I guess :)

To add to that - I bought it because it was on offer at a large supermarket ending in "rose" and I was pulled in by the handsome tube and bottle - and I had seen a ralfy review earlier in the year that piqued my interest.

It is utterly drinkable...but for me it is way too light and modern, so not very interesting from a whisky geek point of view...would be much better off at 46% and NCF, as probably every whisky anorak has already told you...but I guess your target market for this bottle isn't really "us"...so I'd say you did a pretty good job, it is quality stuff.
bboivin

Postby jsaliga » 14 Nov 2013, 20:32

An unusually good price on this at my local shop. It was on sale for $40.99, which was $2 less than the standard 12YO bottled at 40% ABV. So I snapped it up.

--Jerome
jsaliga

Title: Whisky Provocateur
Favourite Whiskies: Any well crafted bourbon, rye, or single malt whisky bottled at 43% ABV or higher.
No. of Bottles: 259

Postby bboivin » 15 Nov 2013, 09:15

Glendronach 1994 Single PX Cask. 18yo. 51.6% exclusive to RMW

This one is likely one of the best Glendronach SCs I've had. Can only take a little water but fine without - I find it like one of the older SC (1970s) bottlings but with a boldness and richness behind it. RMW staff have selected this cask well.
bboivin

Postby gimmeadram » 15 Nov 2013, 15:58

Got myself a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9 for a lot cheaper than what I can get in NYC. Some retailers are trying to sell them for HUNDREDS of dollars MORE than other places. You've got to be kidding me.
gimmeadram

Postby mongo » 15 Nov 2013, 16:45

if you live in a place with a developed whisky culture--lots of geeks, lots of awareness--then you will invariably pay more for those limited bottles because you're competing with more people. here in mn the tun 1401s--from batch 3 through 9--have always been available in the region of $200.
my annoying opinions: my blog (mostly whisky reviews)
mongo

Title: pawn in game of life
Favourite Whiskies: various peated and unpeated whiskies from ex-sherry and ex-bourbon casks.
No. of Bottles: 217
Twitter: WhiskyOpinions

Postby ChrisM » 15 Nov 2013, 22:06

New SMWS buys:

127.33 Mouth-numbing mountaineering dram (11 year old Port Charlotte / laddie)
130.1 Dynamic and attractive (4 year old Chichibu)
132.1 Secret moonlit garden dram (28 year old Karuizawa)
ChrisM

Title: Prime Minister of the malt interior.
Favourite Whiskies: Anything Balblair, Glen Garioch, Clynelish. Daft about SMWS.
Twitter: chrismiles303

Postby jsaliga » 15 Nov 2013, 22:36

Mr Tattie Heid wrote:
bpbleus wrote:What the f**** is going on?

What's going on is that the BTAC bottles have become uber-trendy and lots of people are trying to get them. You are one of them.

How very true. The year before last I had no problem getting the entire set. Last year I was only able to get William Larue Weller, George T. Stagg, and Thomas H. Handy. This year it was a shutout...not one bottle.

--Jerome
jsaliga

Title: Whisky Provocateur
Favourite Whiskies: Any well crafted bourbon, rye, or single malt whisky bottled at 43% ABV or higher.
No. of Bottles: 259

Postby gimmeadram » 15 Nov 2013, 23:06

ChrisM wrote:New SMWS buys:

DROOL... :drool:
gimmeadram

Postby nyloveswhisky » 16 Nov 2013, 00:57

gimmeadram wrote:Finally decided to arrange for shipping for all the K&L bottles that were stored at their warehouse... All 12 bottles of whiskies (include some bottles for my friend) were shipped WITHOUT its protective boxes/tubes. I find it unacceptable that they will NOT ship any boxes/tubes unless you tell them 2 million times to ship with them. And if they do, they will charge extra for them, even though they can easily just put them in the parcel and they weigh close to nothing. This does not make or break my relationship with K&L b/c they do have some reasonably priced store exclusives, but this is not the first time I have been annoyed with them...

I'll remember to REMIND them to pack the boxes next time. I'm pretty sad about that too since I love to save the whisky boxes.

That being said I just ordered the 1991 Auchentoshan 22 Year Old A.D. Rattray
nyloveswhisky

Favourite Whiskies: Yamazaki Bourbon Barrel, Hibiki 21
No. of Bottles: 30

Postby nyloveswhisky » 16 Nov 2013, 01:01

gimmeadram wrote:Got myself a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9 for a lot cheaper than what I can get in NYC. Some retailers are trying to sell them for HUNDREDS of dollars MORE than other places. You've got to be kidding me.

Where'd you order from?
nyloveswhisky

Favourite Whiskies: Yamazaki Bourbon Barrel, Hibiki 21
No. of Bottles: 30

Postby gimmeadram » 16 Nov 2013, 22:26

nyloveswhisky wrote:
gimmeadram wrote:Got myself a bottle of Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 9 for a lot cheaper than what I can get in NYC. Some retailers are trying to sell them for HUNDREDS of dollars MORE than other places. You've got to be kidding me.

Where'd you order from?

A store in New Jersey. I got the last one. As I was putting my order in online, someone else was also doing the same. I wanted to get more than just one, but that other dude scored a few just before I did. Luckily, he left me one. Probably that oscarswanson guy who is trying to buy up all the TUNs in the United States so he can use all the tubes as firewood in preparation for the Minnesota winter :D
gimmeadram

Postby chrisg » 16 Nov 2013, 22:40

gimmeadram wrote:
ChrisM wrote:New SMWS buys:

DROOL... :drool:

Seconded.
chrisg

Title: Un-chill filtered since 1976.
Favourite Whiskies: Laphroaig 18YO, Lagavulin 16YO, Ardbeg 10YO, Mortlach 16YO FF, Four Roses Small Batch
No. of Bottles: 301

Postby Pete Smoke » 16 Nov 2013, 23:01

gimmeadram wrote: Probably that oscarswanson guy who is trying to buy up all the TUNs in the United States so he can use all the tubes as firewood in preparation for the Minnesota winter :D

After using them for target practice. 8-)
I've spent a lot of money on whisky and women, the rest i squandered

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Pete Smoke

Title: watchman
Favourite Whiskies: All whiskies that are free of e150a
No. of Bottles: 3

Postby laser wolf » 17 Nov 2013, 00:06

Another shipment winging its way from Europe: Whiskyman Littlemill '88Thosop Littlemill '89, Thosop Bowmore '93, and MaltBarn Miltonduff '82. I've had samples of the Thosop Littlemill and the Miltonduff and both were excellent. The Whiskyman Littlemill I bought two bottles when it was released and adored the bottle I drank, happy to have found another one.

I feel pretty content with my collection at present though, time slow down my purchases and catch up with my drinking for a while.
laser wolf

Title: Encyclopedia
Favourite Whiskies: Anything lambasted for being "pure fruit juice"

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat