Feis Ile 2010

Whisky / Whiskey Festivals, Events and Tastings.

Feis Ile 2010

Postby Drew » 09 Feb 2010, 10:04

I’m going across to Islay this year for the Feis Ile and have been lucky enough to get some accommodation. I’m only going for the first half of the week (22nd – 26th) and was wondering if anyone knew what the plan for the week was and when the distillery open days are. I got a letter through for Ardbeg yesterday and it looks like I’m going to miss that one Doh!

On a similar note I was reading the Springbank open day discussion. Again it looks like I will just miss that one. We are staying in Cambelltown on the Friday night (21st) before catching the ferry from Kennacraig on the Saturday. Do you think there will be anything left in those special casks to have a taste? ;)

Tapadh leat.

Drew
Drew

Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg
No. of Bottles: 110

Re: Feis Ile 2010

Postby Willie JJ » 09 Feb 2010, 14:48

It's normally:

1st Saturday: Lagavulin
Sunday: Bruichladdich
Monday: Caol Ila
Tuesday: Laphroaig
Wednesday: Bowmore
Thursday: Kilchoman and Jura
Friday: Bunnahabhain
2nd Saturday: Ardbeg
Willie

It is better to have drunk it all than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ

Title: You don't like it? You're just not trying.
Favourite Whiskies: I like those whiskies with an alcohol content of 40% and above.
No. of Bottles: 0

Postby craig-mcgill » 26 Apr 2010, 17:43

Jura's doing a preview night in Glasgow for the festival: http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=3215#p33631

A full list of date events is here:http://www.theislayfestival.co.uk/
craig-mcgill

Postby Drew » 28 Apr 2010, 20:27

Cheers Craig, Wish I could get up to Glasgow but it's a bit far away for me. :( Should be able to get to the Jura distillery when I'm up though :)

See you there!
Drew

Favourite Whiskies: Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg
No. of Bottles: 110

Postby Mark C » 16 May 2010, 21:33

Does anyone know what any of the bottlings are this year?
Mark C
Site Admin

Title: Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Favourite Whiskies: Young peaty ones or old sherried ones.
No. of Bottles: 25
Twitter: butephoto
Facebook: mark.connelly1

Postby C57 » 16 May 2010, 21:54

butephoto wrote:Does anyone know what any of the bottlings are this year?

Mostly whisky, Mark.
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
C57

Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Postby Peat Sampras » 16 May 2010, 22:04

C57 wrote:

Mostly whisky, Mark.

I think there'll be some Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, might be some Caol Ila as well :D

Caramel is the Devil
Peat Sampras

Title: John D'oh
Favourite Whiskies: Bourbon cask matured cask strength single cask scotch whiskies

Postby rjk » 16 May 2010, 22:06

From Feis Ile facebook:

Ardbeg : A festival bottling will be available on Ardbeg Day. Bowmore : Eddie MacAffer has specially selected, numbered and signed the first 500 bottles of ‘Tempest’ to celebrate 25 years of the Feis Ile. This small batch release will be on s...ale at the Distillery Visitor Centre from 10am on Saturday 22nd May. To formally mark the 25th anniversary of the Feis Ile, we have created just 100 bottles of an exceptional 25 year old Bowmore. Every bottle will be individually signed and numbered by Eddie MacAffer and will only be available from the Distillery Visitor Centre from 10am on Wednesday 26th May. Bruichladdich : Special Valinch Bunnahabhain : Bunnahabhain 18yo Pedro Ximinex Finish @ about £ 80 Caol Ila : Isle of Jura : Prophecy, a heavily peated batch, and the Boutique Range, a completely new and exciting collection that will be ongoing; new additions becoming available as time progresses. Kilchoman : An exclusive single cask bottling will be available from the distillery on the open day only Lagavulin : Laphroaig : a Cairdeas will be released

It seems the Laphroaig will be £45 - probably the best value festival bottle in recent years and pleased to see this again. The Kilchoman bottle is from a bourbon cask and is £55. No idea on the Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Caol Ila bottles yet. Can't wait :thumbsup:
rjk

Postby C57 » 16 May 2010, 22:07

Peat Sampras wrote:
C57 wrote:

Mostly whisky, Mark.

I think there'll be some Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, might be some Caol Ila as well :D

Good call - you could well be right.
And maybe some Bunny and Laddie?
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
C57

Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Postby The Craw » 17 May 2010, 10:51

From WM:

Diageo has now revealed the two limited-edition single cask bottlings of its Islay whiskies which will be sold at this year's Islay Festival of Malt and Music (22-29 May).

The 2010 bottlings will be from a Lagavulin cask filled in August 1994 and from a Caol Ila cask filled in August 1999. Both malts have been bottled at natural cask strength, and will be priced at £74.99. The bottles will be rationed to one per visitor.

The Lagavulin special bottling will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis at the distillery, starting on the distillery's open day, Saturday 22 May. The Caol Ila bottling will be sold with effect from Monday 24 May which is the Caol Ila open day.
CRAW - Campaign for Real Authentic Whisky!
The Craw

Title: Whisky Researcher
Favourite Whiskies: Talisker, Clynelish, Bladnoch

Postby Mark C » 18 May 2010, 23:29

Buncha comedians in this place...

:D
Mark C
Site Admin

Title: Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Favourite Whiskies: Young peaty ones or old sherried ones.
No. of Bottles: 25
Twitter: butephoto
Facebook: mark.connelly1

Postby rjk » 03 Jun 2010, 12:24

Great festival - we had a great time. I would say it was better than last years but this was probably because we knew what was going on and had a better feel for the place. The distilleries really do go all out to cater for the visitors and the locals are really friendly and helpful. We're already researching accomadation for next year but the dates haven't been confirmed as yet. Anyone heard anything different?

Best whiskies we tried were the Cairdeas, Lagavulin distillery only release and the 1970 single cask Ardbegs at Mickey's tasting - all of them were long sold out and were the last bottles the distillery had :yummy:

I would recommend the Laphroaig release and at £45 is really good value for money. I bought the Ardbeg single cask after getting to the distillery about 9 am - people had queued all night for it, which seems absolutely rediculous but good luck to them. I was tempted by lots of other bottles but being on a budget I had to hold back. It would be very easy to spend a fortune during the festival, not only on the whisky but on the tours, masterclasses and evening events that the distilleries hold. The whisky tasting ceilidh was good fun - although very difficult to correctly guess the whiskies just by nosing them.

Looking forward to next year already and also looking into going later in the year to experience the island when it is quiet.

Cheers,

rjk
rjk

Return to Whisky Events