Springbank/Longrow bottling codes

Single malts, blends and grains.

Springbank/Longrow bottling codes

Postby Bulkington » 15 Feb 2010, 16:04

Does anyone here know how to decipher them?

I bought the Longrow 10 referenced in the "Longrow 10" thread below. From what I've been able to find out, it must be a non-vintage Longrow 10 released before the vintage versions (which began with the '92?), which dates it to around 1991/2001. It's been suggested that its lime green label and capsule must have faded from their original brown, but that doesn't seem likely looking at them, as both match perfectly, and the capsule is uniform in color all around while the back label is distinctly brown.... I failed to mention last time around that it's in a taller bottle than the current. Maybe I'll try posting pics eventually.

Anyway, the only markings on the bottle I could find are on the bottom. In the very center of the circle, below the bottle-size statement running in a crescent along the border up top, is SD522, and in running a crescent along the bottom border below that, 419 [UG] U8. (The "UG" is boxed, thus the brackets; the "U" of "U8" looks too wide to be the litter U.)
Bulkington

Title: Whisky Consumed
Favourite Whiskies: Lagavulin 21; Laphroaig 30; Springbank 21; various Yoichis; Clynelish/Brora
No. of Bottles: 0

Re: Springbank/Longrow bottling codes

Postby Peter Currie » 15 Feb 2010, 18:08

HI Bulkington,

I think we met at The Brandy Library last Thursday. I take it you bought the bottle? Stick a picture up and we'll see if we can get you more info

These codes don't mean anything to us at the distillery.
The only code that we could use is the bottling operation. This number should be on the back of the front label, and will be something like 01/109 (the 109th bottling operation of 2001).
However each label in stamped by hand in the bottling hall, and ink/stamps occasionally miss the mark. If you can find a number then let me know and I can provide all the info.

cheers

Pete
Peter Currie

Postby Bulkington » 15 Feb 2010, 19:11

Thanks, Pete. That was me. And thanks for the tasting.

I'll check behind the label again with better light when I get home, and will try to get a pic up soon.

-b
Bulkington

Favourite Whiskies: Lagavulin 21; Laphroaig 30; Springbank 21; various Yoichis; Clynelish/Brora

Postby Bulkington » 16 Feb 2010, 16:08

I couldn't find a stamp on the Longrow 10 (nor on the Longrow CV I have at home). I even used a flashlight.... :?

I'll get pics posted as soon as I can.
Bulkington

Postby TheManWithNoName » 29 Sep 2012, 06:56

I know this is an old topic, but seeing I had started looking here with are very similar question (when was my Longrow CV bottled?) I thought it best to just add to this rather than start a new topic.

On the inside of the label I see 11/341. It was a bit tricky to find, but under the right angle I can see it at the back of the front label. Seeing your post Pete that should be the 341st bottling operation in 2011? Was that at the end of last year or do you regularly do multiple bottlings a day?

Have to admit that Ralphy's videos on the distillery made me curious, and now the taste has only increased my curiosity.
TheManWithNoName

Postby kallaskander » 09 Oct 2012, 10:01

Hi there,

afaik that means day 341 of the year 2011.

Which would translate as 07th December 2011.

Greetings
kallaskander
Never water another man's whisky.
kallaskander

Postby azazel » 09 Oct 2012, 12:48

Hi guys,

While the code is a "bottling" operation number, it doesn't relate to a specific day. We do many, many operations during the course of a year so it's very difficult to get an exact date for any bottling. To further confuse things, operation numbers are not only allocated to bottling runs - if we are carrying out a vatting, for example, that gets an operation number, as do re-rackings of casks etc.

11/341 probably comes from around this time last year but I unfortunately can't guarantee that. Operation numbers can vary greatly from year-to-year depending on a number of factors.

Cheers
Ranald
Ranald Watson
Springbank Distillers
azazel

Postby alec.tron » 15 Oct 2012, 05:43

Hey Ranald,
thanks for chiming in!
Since these operation numbers are apparently no good for outsiders, I too was convinced they are **/*** Year/DayOfYear numbers, would it be possible to easily create a unique bottling-date on top of the operation number for the consumers so we can easily identify our favourite batch of a given product of yours ?
I guess everyone of us malt nerds would appreciate the transparency.

And thanks again for your great tasting at the beginning of the year in Wellington, it was the most entertaining tasting I've ever been to.
All the best.
c.
alec.tron

Title: Creature of meat & hair

Postby Willie JJ » 15 Oct 2012, 17:32

I would have thought the code would be unique to a batch and can't see why you need another to identify it.
Willie

It is better to have drunk it all than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ

Title: You don't like it? You're just not trying.
Favourite Whiskies: I like those whiskies with an alcohol content of 40% and above.

Return to Scotch Whiskies