Blackstone 18 year old

General Whisky and Whiskey Chat.

Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 17 Dec 2010, 16:27

Aldi-Süd (south) in Germany is currently selling an 18 year old single malt for €16,99 (0,70 l). It is being marketed under the name of 'Blackstone' and has been bottled in Germany by Blackstone GmbH in D-84056 Rottenburg. According to the label, it is a 'Highland Scotch Whisky'. I am usually highly sceptical about such bottlings but I had the opportunity to try a glass last night and to my great surprise, I found myself enjoying an 18 year old Glenmorangie! I have never tried the 18 year old version but I have both ten year olds at home (the Original and Cellar 13). Blackstone is very like these two but with a creamier consistency. I bought one bottle (with cap instead of cork) from my colleague and I'll go down to Aldi-Süd tomorrow to see what's left. I live in Siegen, which is roughly in the middle, so I have easy access to both Aldi-Nord and Aldi-Süd. I've looked up the internet to confirm the identity of the distillery but without success. It is however definitely Glenmorangie, as I immediately recognised when nosing the glass. I don't normally hoard but this is an incredible Christmas bargain.
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 17:59

Please try the Glenmorangie 18 alongside the Blackstone before making such claims. And please note that Glenmorangie is very, very, very, reluctant to give away casks, to put it mildly. That's a pretty courageous speculation in my eyes.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 17 Dec 2010, 18:30

As I already said, I have never tasted the 18 year old Glenmorangie, but I compared Blackstone to the ten year old and the similarity is unbelievable. Have you tried Blackstone and do you have a better suggestion?
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 18:43

I have not tried it and I'm not sure I will buy it to try it. But I made the experience that is extremely difficult to rightly guess distileries of undisclosed malts. To be honest I consider my palate not good enough to blindly detect an untreated (sherry, port etc.) Glenmorangie expresion that I have not tasted before. And to detect it just by nosing is way beyond my sensorical capabilities,
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 17 Dec 2010, 18:56

There are very few whiskies I can deduce by nosing but Glenmorangie (no finish) is one of them. I said it was deifinitely Glenmorangie but my colleague pointed out that it was an 18 year old from Aldi. I tasted it of course too. It was like the ten year old Glenmorangie I have at home, but creamier on the tongue (I never use the word oily unless a dram tastes like some kind of oil). I am 99 % sure this is Glenmorangie and the label says 18 years. Go ahead and spend the €16,99-. If you don't like it, I'll refund your outlay.
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby C57 » 17 Dec 2010, 18:58

Tennis C Williams wrote:There are very few whiskies I can deduce by nosing but Glenmorangie (no finish) is one of them. I said it was deifinitely Glenmorangie but my colleague pointed out that it was an 18 year old from Aldi. I tasted it of course too. It was like the ten year old Glenmorangie I have at home, but creamier on the tongue (I never use the word oily unless a dram tastes like some kind of oil). I am 99 % sure this is Glenmorangie and the label says 18 years. Go ahead and spend the €16,99-. If you don't like it, I'll refund your outlay.

Just send a sample
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
Image
User avatar
C57
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 00:13
Location: Near the Flitch
Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 19:00

It would be pointless, even if I liked it. I had tasted samples of the Glenmoragie 10 and 18 months ago. Glenmorangie is not my daily dram. I don't think I would be able to remember their taste well enough to conclude anything.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby C57 » 17 Dec 2010, 19:05

olikli wrote:It would be pointless, even if I liked it. I had tasted samples of the Glenmoragie 10 and 18 months ago. Glenmorangie is not my daily dram. I don't think I would be able to remember their taste well enough to conclude anything.

Without doing so I don't think you have a basis to rubbish the claim so emphatically.

I do agree it seems very unlikely given Morangie's reluctance to sell on casks, but that's not unknown (independents do bottle 'morangie) so it's not impossible.

Try it and give an informed opinion!
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
Image
User avatar
C57
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 00:13
Location: Near the Flitch
Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 19:24

C57 wrote:
olikli wrote:It would be pointless, even if I liked it. I had tasted samples of the Glenmoragie 10 and 18 months ago. Glenmorangie is not my daily dram. I don't think I would be able to remember their taste well enough to conclude anything.

Without doing so I don't think you have a basis to rubbish the claim so emphatically.

I do agree it seems very unlikely given Morangie's reluctance to sell on casks, but that's not unknown (independents do bottle 'morangie) so it's not impossible.

Try it and give an informed opinion!


The deduction from a known 10 yo to an unknown 18 yo combined with the cask situation made me suspicious. I called it "courageous", you called if "very unlikely". Not much of a difference. The claim may well be true, but I would be very surprised if it was.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Willie JJ » 17 Dec 2010, 19:29

olikli wrote:The claim may well be true, but I would be very surprised if it was.

I would be astonished.
Willie

It is better to have drunk it all than never to have drunk at all.
Image
User avatar
Willie JJ
 
Posts: 4298
Joined: 15 Nov 2008, 22:51
Location: nr. Edinburgh
Title: You don't like it? You're just not trying.
Favourite Whiskies: I like those whiskies with an alcohol content of 40% and above.
No. of Bottles: 0

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 19:35

And keep in mind that Aldi (Süd) needs quite a lot of bottles. They have 1800 shops in Germany.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby bpbleus » 17 Dec 2010, 19:39

To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you like it, 17 Euro is a fantastic price for an 18 yo whatever malt whisky.
User avatar
bpbleus
 
Posts: 1493
Joined: 02 May 2010, 19:30
Location: CA USA
Title: Whiskypath
Favourite Whiskies: Latest Greatest: Longmorn 1971-2004 Scott's Selection 53.5% (US);
Lochside 1981-2010 TWE
No. of Bottles: 1

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Mr Tattie Heid » 17 Dec 2010, 19:43

bpbleus wrote:To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.
Tennis C Williams wrote:Aldi-Süd (south) in Germany is currently selling an 18 year old single malt....

Tennis C, is it actually labeled "single malt", or just "malt whisky"?
www.mrtattieheid.com ~ Travel Journals & Photographs
User avatar
Mr Tattie Heid
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: 18 Nov 2008, 00:32
Location: The Midden Heap, Bog of Allen, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Title: Finnish Soap Dish Wholesale Vendor
Favourite Whiskies: Aja Hiljaa Sillalla
No. of Bottles: 90

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby C57 » 17 Dec 2010, 20:46

bpbleus wrote:To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you like it, 17 Euro is a fantastic price for an 18 yo whatever malt whisky.

SMWS has done many of them
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
Image
User avatar
C57
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 00:13
Location: Near the Flitch
Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 17 Dec 2010, 20:48

C57 wrote:
bpbleus wrote:To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you like it, 17 Euro is a fantastic price for an 18 yo whatever malt whisky.

SMWS has done many of them


Glenmorangie owns the SMWS. It's staying within the company.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby C57 » 17 Dec 2010, 21:02

A very good point, that I overlooked!
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
Image
User avatar
C57
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 00:13
Location: Near the Flitch
Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 18 Dec 2010, 00:05

Mr Tattie Heid wrote:
bpbleus wrote:To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.
Tennis C Williams wrote:Aldi-Süd (south) in Germany is currently selling an 18 year old single malt....

Tennis C, is it actually labeled "single malt", or just "malt whisky"?


It is labeled 'single malt' at the very top and 'highland scotch whisky' at the bottom. The alcohol content is 40 %. Everything is in English on the front label and in German and English on the back. The main text reads as follows:

"Distilled in copper pot stills in the traditional centuries old manner. It is laid down in old oak casks and matured undisturbed for eighteen long years."

I was watching TV this evening and again had a glass of Blackstone followed by Glenmorangie 10. If Blackstone isn't Glenmorangie, I don't care as long as it tastes like it! I'll get some more tomorrow if it's still there. ;)
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby bpbleus » 18 Dec 2010, 03:16

Tennis C Williams wrote:
"Distilled in copper pot stills in the traditional centuries old manner. It is laid down in old oak casks and matured undisturbed for eighteen long years."


Let me try to translate this from German (it got a bit rusty in this department):

We distilled it according to the rules set forth in the law, and didn't care to implement innovative ideas - that is, among other things, the stillman was traditionally wasted throughout the distillation process. We dumped the stuff in really old, i.e. tired seventh and eighth refill, casks and then forgot all about it for eighteen long years (time passes sooo f*****g slowly in our neck of the woods) until the roof of the barn behind the dunnage warehouse collapsed under a massive load of snow last year. The casks were discovered under the rubble; some drunken fool must have erred and rolled them in the barn in stead of the warehouse. Fortunately, some German discount supermarket chain was willing to pay for the liquid, so that we could actually choose a decent cask for our Manager's Dram, i.e. for ourselves, this year

If you like it, all is good, but since the label states 'Single Malt' I doubt it is Glenmorangie. Personally, I would consider this as potentially an advantage.
User avatar
bpbleus
 
Posts: 1493
Joined: 02 May 2010, 19:30
Location: CA USA
Title: Whiskypath
Favourite Whiskies: Latest Greatest: Longmorn 1971-2004 Scott's Selection 53.5% (US);
Lochside 1981-2010 TWE
No. of Bottles: 1

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Mr Tattie Heid » 18 Dec 2010, 12:50

Tennis C Williams wrote:It was like the ten year old Glenmorangie I have at home, but creamier on the tongue (I never use the word oily unless a dram tastes like some kind of oil).

And I never use the word creamy unless it tastes like cream.

There are all kinds of oils--vegetable oil, mineral oil, body oils, bath oils--with all kinds of aromas and flavors. What they share is a viscous, slippery texture, which is something I find (and very much enjoy) in some whiskies. Cream is from a cow. It is fatty, but not oily.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days... :lol: We all have our individual vocabularies. Some a little more strange than others.... :?
www.mrtattieheid.com ~ Travel Journals & Photographs
User avatar
Mr Tattie Heid
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: 18 Nov 2008, 00:32
Location: The Midden Heap, Bog of Allen, Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
Title: Finnish Soap Dish Wholesale Vendor
Favourite Whiskies: Aja Hiljaa Sillalla
No. of Bottles: 90

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 18 Dec 2010, 12:59

I drove down to the nearest Aldi-Süd this morning and bought another 4 bottles. I'll probably drink them throughout 2011. Apparently they are only sold around this time of year.
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Tennis C Williams » 18 Dec 2010, 13:05

Mr Tattie Heid wrote:
Tennis C Williams wrote:It was like the ten year old Glenmorangie I have at home, but creamier on the tongue (I never use the word oily unless a dram tastes like some kind of oil).

And I never use the word creamy unless it tastes like cream.

There are all kinds of oils--vegetable oil, mineral oil, body oils, bath oils--with all kinds of aromas and flavors. What they share is a viscous, slippery texture, which is something I find (and very much enjoy) in some whiskies. Cream is from a cow. It is fatty, but not oily.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a couple of days... :lol: We all have our individual vocabularies. Some a little more strange than others.... :?


Many years ago I bought a bottle of Springbank that was oily, and I don't mean the consistency. It happened with another bottle round about then (Bruichladdich?) and ever since I have been wary of buying a bottle of whisky if it is described as oily. As I have never tasted cream in whisky (only vanilla), I like to use that word. There's probably an official term somewhere.
Tennis C Williams
 
Posts: 65
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 22:03
Location: Germany
Title: I'm still thinking of a title...
Favourite Whiskies: Bowmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Balvenie, Highland Park
No. of Bottles: 15

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby olikli » 18 Dec 2010, 13:07

Tennis C Williams wrote:I drove down to the nearest Aldi-Süd this morning and bought another 4 bottles. I'll probably drink them throughout 2011. Apparently they are only sold around this time of year.


Blackstone in many liveries has been the Aldi Chirstmas tipple for many years. I thought you knew that. Two years ago I got a nearly undrinkable Canadian version as a Christmas present.
http://www.dramming.com - Everything Whisky
User avatar
olikli
 
Posts: 994
Joined: 29 Jul 2009, 16:11
Location: Munich Rubble Plain
Title: Dramming along
Favourite Whiskies: All but Loch Dhu and Rothaus Black Forest Whisky
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: OliverKlimek
Facebook: Oliver Klimek

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Willie JJ » 18 Dec 2010, 15:05

olikli wrote:
C57 wrote:
bpbleus wrote:To my knowledge, Glenmorangie does not sell single malt casks; they are tea-spooned before they leave the premisses. If Blackstone contains Glenmorangie, it also contains Glen Moray.

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you like it, 17 Euro is a fantastic price for an 18 yo whatever malt whisky.

SMWS has done many of them


Glenmorangie owns the SMWS. It's staying within the company.

Also the SMWS only started to get Glenmorangie after the takeover. Glenmo wouldn't give them any before that.
Willie

It is better to have drunk it all than never to have drunk at all.
Image
User avatar
Willie JJ
 
Posts: 4298
Joined: 15 Nov 2008, 22:51
Location: nr. Edinburgh
Title: You don't like it? You're just not trying.
Favourite Whiskies: I like those whiskies with an alcohol content of 40% and above.
No. of Bottles: 0

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby Malt-Teaser » 18 Dec 2010, 17:42

OK, after a visit to my local Aldi, a place I usually refuse to enter, a bottle of the €16.99 18y nectar has been procured and will be opened in the presence of Oliver later this evening.

I also received a delivery of a Laphroaig CS Batch 002 & Glen Garioch Founders Reserve.

Happy Dramming
:D
Malty
All photos and tasting notes are Copyright Malt-Teaser / Whisky-Emporium.

Whisky Emporium: http://www.Whisky-Emporium.com/UK/index.htm
Tasting Notes: http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Tasti ... m#jumphere
User avatar
Malt-Teaser
 
Posts: 6272
Joined: 13 Nov 2008, 10:29
Location: Erding, near to Munich, Bavaria
Title: Maniac
No. of Bottles: 0
Twitter: WhiskyEmporium
Facebook: WhiskyEmporium

Re: Blackstone 18 year old

Postby C57 » 18 Dec 2010, 18:13

Malt-Teaser wrote:OK, after a visit to my local Aldi, a place I usually refuse to enter, a bottle of the €16.99 18y nectar has been procured and will be opened in the presence of Oliver later this evening.

I also received a delivery of a Laphroaig CS Batch 002 & Glen Garioch Founders Reserve.

Happy Dramming
:D
Malty

Some fun coming up soon then :D
Friend, Guardian, Explorer, Committee Member
http://www.ramsey.uk.net/whiskies/ (Collection, images, tasting notes)
Image
User avatar
C57
 
Posts: 6326
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 00:13
Location: Near the Flitch
Title: Drinker and collector
Favourite Whiskies: Anything non-sulphured: I'm a whisky tart.
No. of Bottles: 284

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests