The infamous Royal Household whisky

Single malts, blends and grains.

The infamous Royal Household whisky

Postby Lionsmane » 25 Aug 2011, 12:00

It has been a long debate between my Father and myself over this whisky. He grew up on Harris, not far from the Rodel hotel and would often tell me stories about this "special" whisky which has a long story behind it. As I now have a bit of an addiction for uisge beatha, it something he regularly asks me if I've had yet.

For a long time I thought it was just another story that he was telling me, but lo and behold it does actually exsist! So what I was wondering, was if anyone on here has ever had a drop of the stuff? I know there is a blend available in Japan, but that's not quite the one I was thinking of! Or generally if anyone could shed a bit more light on it than the stroies I've heard then I'd love to hear them!

At £2000+ a bottle it's a little out of my price range (for now anyway!)

Lionsmane

Title: Whisky Anorak in the making!
No. of Bottles: 20
Twitter: jesslionsmane

Re: The infamous Royal Household whisky

Postby kallaskander » 25 Aug 2011, 13:59

Hi there,

welcome to the forum.

As to the connection of the Rodel Hotel with the whisky...

http://drinkingforscotland.blogspot.com ... royal.html

There is a tale that Jock MacCallum was invited to submit his own house blend at a competiton by James Buchanan Ltd to find a whisky fitting for the Royal Household. The story goes on that Jock won and so Buchannan made the whisky and Mr MacCallum became the only retail stockist, first in Stornoway, then at Rodel.

as to the whisky itself...

hard to find and then expensive as you said.

Here a bit of history and why it is so rare - probably. No gurantee for the content of truth, though.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kawachi/item/326868/

Greetings
kallaskander
Never water another man's whisky.
kallaskander

Return to Scotch Whiskies